Thursday, May 19, 2011

Networking is a Year-Round Process


I’ve always believed in the power of networking and the importance of casting a wide net and keeping in touch with friends and colleagues.  I attend many networking events on both a personal and professional level. 

However, I’ve got a pet peeve when it comes to networking. What bothers me is people who only network when they need something – a job, a client, a sale. While networking is great for these situations, it is also about building relationships and making friendships that far outlast these things.

I’ve heard several people say “I just got laid off so I’ve been doing a lot of networking these days.”  These are people who didn’t have time to go to networking events or be involved in professional organizations because they were “too busy” with their jobs.


My belief is that the more you network and make connections with people, those relationships will pay off in ways you may not have imagined. While I value any business lead that may come through my network, I also place more weight on the connections I make with people.

Networking should be a year-round process, not just something you do when you need something. In fact, most people who network on a regular basis don’t like new people who only show up at an event because they are looking for a job.

There are very few events or groups that I’ve been involved with where I haven’t made a personal connection or new friend.  Sometimes people don’t network because they feel they are not outgoing or won’t know anybody at an event. I’ve felt this way before but have found that usually people are friendly and willing to engage in conversation even if they’ve never met you before.

Eventually, these are the people you know you can call on when you have a question or need a second opinion and conversely, they know they can call on you in their times of need.  Networking does take time, but the return on investment is something you can’t put a price on.

No comments:

Post a Comment