Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Deals, Deals Everywhere!



If you’re like me, you love getting a good deal. And today, you don’t have to go far to get access to “great” deals on a daily basis. Sites like Groupon, Living Social, and Denver Daily Deals are experiencing wild success as consumers clamor to get the next big deal.

Personally, I’m getting a little overwhelmed by these offers. 

I’ve gotten some great deals this way. However, it is easy to fall into the “good deal trap.”  Is this something I would buy anyway? Is this a restaurant I’ve been wanting to try?  Do I go to this location on a regular basis?  These are the kinds of questions we need to ask ourselves before we click through and buy more than we need.

Retailers are realizing the value of getting people in the door where they can hopefully convert them into long term customers.  Like telemarketers, they wouldn’t be doing it if it didn’t work.  But I caution you the next time you see the “Deal of the Day” to think before you buy. 

While they offer a great way for consumers to discover new places and try new things at a lower point of entry, I view them with a sort of yard sale mentality.  Stuff you don’t need but hey -- it’s a good deal – so why not?

Do you think these sites will reach a point of saturation? I’m already starting to ignore the daily emails that infiltrate my email box with 50 percent off this or that.  I’m even tempted to unsubscribe, but I’m afraid I’ll miss a deal on something I really like. So for now, I’ll continue to play this game and hope to not break the bank in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment